Welcome to Ottawa Music Printing!
I have 20 years of experience as a music copyist, editor, transcriber, arranger, composer and songwriter. As a musician who reads and writes music I understand how integral the presentation of music on the printed page is to the process of interpretation, performance and education. Whether in the studio, on the stage, in a book or simply for personal enjoyment, music that is perfectly printed makes music making easier and more enjoyable for everyone.
I use the industry standard engraving software Finale: The Art of Music Notation to create scores, parts, TABs and charts. After 20 years using this complex and deep application I know all the ins and outs of how to get truly beautiful pages to the printer and on to your music stand. Finale allows an engraver to custom set parameters for every aspect of a score, from the placement and spacing of elements from systems to dots to the thickness of lines and the tapers of curves. I can tell at a glance when looking at a Finale-produced score if the engraver actually knows the intricacies of the software. Many do not. I do.
From the simplest transposition to laying out a music textbook or songbook to copying a full symphonic score and parts, I have the tools and experience to bring your musical projects to life on the printed page. I enjoy working with all kinds of music and over the years I have had the pleasure of working with clients around the world, from students and amateurs to professional singers, accompanists and composers of international stature, on a wide variety of projects including:
• Copying composers’ hand written or previously computer-generated scores into performance-ready scores and parts
• Transposing everything from single-line parts to art songs to a string quartet for wind ensemble
• Preparing and editing music for publication, i.e providing “printer ready” graphic output directly to publishers
• Transcribing songs and compositions for composers who don’t write but want to share their music in print
• Preparing lead sheets and song charts including piano arrangements and scores including guitar fretboard chord symbols
• Preparing printer ready musical examples for textbooks and academic works
• Transcribing instrumental solos from audio recordings (and even a YouTube video)
• Preparing guitar and bass tablature from traditional notation or transcribed from audio
Thanks to email, instant messaging, VoIP (e.g. Skype), scanning technology and the ubiquitous Adobe PDF I can work for, and collaborate with, clients around the corner and around the world. If you are in Ottawa or Oregon, Toronto, Tokyo or Timbuktu I would be happy to hear from you and to work with you in making your musical project come to life. I take pride in my ability to communicate clearly and in a timely fashion with my clients and to guide them through what can at times be a challenging editorial and creative process. No matter the size and nature of your project I consider it my responsibility to understand your needs, exceed your expectations and to deliver on time and on budget.
Please use the links above or press “Menu” on your portable device to learn more about OMP’s services.